- India records about 7 million burns cases annually.
- About 1.4 lakh people die of burns.
- High cost of Burns treatment coupled with functional disability of burn survivors put a heavy financial toll on the patient.
- Data have shown that 80% of cases are due to domestic accident.
- This can be prevented if India has an effective burn prevention program in place.
Aim of SEP
- To reduce the incidence of preventable burn injury by conducting large scale burns prevention awareness program in Mumbai.
- To create awareness about the correct First-aid in case of burns.
- Started in the year 1974.
- Conducted every year during June to December.
- The program involves a 20 minute Audio-visual presentations in English, Hindi & Marathi to class V, VI& VII students of Mumbai, Navi Mumbai and Thane area.
- The presentation is followed by an impact test to assess the knowledge gained.
- Each year about 100 schools are covered in the programme.
School students of class 5th, 6th and 7th standard in all schools in Navi Mumbai and Mumbai.
- Family members
- Community members