- The Psychiatry Department provides services to the inpatients, outpatients, caretakers of the patients and also to the staff members working in the hospital. The services were in the form of psychological testing & assessment, psychiatric treatment, psychotherapies, psycho education and psychological care and support.
- During the year 2016-17 the Psychiatry Department has expanded the scope of various mental health care activities by exercising various modalities of treatment.
Modalities of psychotherapy used:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy, Behavioral Therapy, Art Therapy, Play Therapy, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing, Emotion Regulation, Mindfulness, Hypnotherapy, Gestalt Therapy, Group Therapy.
- During the year 2015-16 the Psychiatry Department has expanded the scope of various mental health care activities by exercising newer modalities of therapy. The Psychiatry Department provides services to the inpatients, outpatients, caretakers of the patients and also to the staff members working in the hospital. The services were in the form of psychological testing & assessment, psychiatric treatment, psychotherapies, psycho education and psychological care and support.
Modalities of psychotherapy used:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy
- Behavioral Therapy
- Art Therapy
- Play Therapy
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing
- Emotion Regulation
- Humanistic/Existential Approach
- Gestalt Therapy
- Group Therapy
Dr. Aditya Gopinathan Nair delivered the following lecture at CME-
- Clinical evaluation of a burns patient from the point of psychiatry
Ms. Jessica Ghadge delivered the following lectures at CME-
- Gender Differences in Withstanding Burns
- Acute Stress Disorder
- Post traumatic Stress Disorder
IPD / OPD:
The inpatients were assessed by the Psychiatrist every alternate day and everyday by the Clinical Psychologist. They received treatment at their bedside. The patients were also reviewed at the OPD setting post discharge. Their medicine dosage was altered as per the requirement and therapy sessions were conducted when required.
Approximate number of patients seen in the year 2015-16:- 350 Operation Restore:
The patients from Operation Restore were treated free of cost by the psychiatry department. They also underwent Psychological assessment and evaluation prior to the treatment.
PATHOLOGY & MICROBIOLOGY
Serology, Microbiology and other supporting tests are done for patients and Skin Bank samples as required. Also regular Fumigation, sampling and testings are done.
Description: Tests done: CBC, LFT, RFT ,RBS, BLOOD GROUP ,HIV, HBsAg ,BT-CT, PT-INR, APTT, URINE ROUTINE. URINE CULTURE, BLOOD CULTURE, WOUND SWAB CULTURE & SENSITIVITY.
( As per the patients requirement test has been done )
Psychological care & support for the caretakers:
It was seen that the caretakers of the burns patient also went through a lot of stress and trauma. So, the caretakers were also provided with psychological care and support free of cost.
Psychological assessment of staff members:
It was also seen that serving to the burns patient was equally difficult for the staff members, which indeed lead to burnout at times. So, the staff members were routinely assessed & evaluated psychologically and treatment was provided to the ones necessary.
Exchange of knowledge & Ideas:
The Psychiatry department had following guests coming from abroad. The members of the department had meetings with them in order to exchange the ideas and knowledge that they share. This also helped in understanding the perspective of treatment that the foreign countries have.
- Dr. Anjay Khandelwal, MD, FACS, FICS
Co-Director, Comprehensive Burn Care Center at The Metro Health System Cleveland, Ohio
- Dr. Jagnoor Jagnoor
Senior Research Fellow, Senior Lecturer BDS, MPH, PHD AUSTRALIA