Burns Survivor’s Group
When individuals sustain a burn injury, their lives could be impacted in many ways in terms of physical, emotional, social and psychological aspects. Some survivors may face difficulty adjusting to the activities of daily living and returning to the society. There are resources available to cater to their needs. Support group is one such resource which helps them in the reintegration process.
A Support group essentially is a group of people with common experiences or concerns who provide each other with encouragement, comfort, and advice. Support groups, help patients realize that he or she is not alone and there are other people who are going through similar problems. This often gives a huge relief to the patient.
Why Support Group?:
- Interacting with someone who has been directly affected by a burn injury can give reassurance.
- It could be helpful to talk with individuals who have had similar type of experience, as patients would know what to expect ahead.
- It is a good platform for instilling hope.
- It would help to ease the transition from hospital to home.
- It can be comforting to know that you are not alone.
- To help burn survivors learn coping methods so they can handle themselves when problem arises.
- To alleviate pain & cope with symptomatic behaviour.
- Reestablishment of the individual as an independent unit.
- Reintegration into society as a productive member.
Burn Survivors’ Group at NBC
We effectively managed to have a support group, consisting of both OPD & IPD patients. It takes place every month wherein the patients narrate their stories, problems faced and the ways to deal with it.